Vampires are a dangerous enemy found primarily in Vlad's Castle.
Before encountering a player, Vampires will act identically to Bats, hanging up on the ceiling. When a player gets near, they will begin flying towards the player before turning into their humanoid form and sporadically jumping towards them.
Killing a Vampire will cause it to drop its Cape.
- A Vampire's sporadic movement can be incredibly dangerous for the player. If one has the opportunity to get above them, it is recommended to do so, as they are much more predictable in their bat form.
- Vampires spawn in the Sun Challenge, meaning that if a player is in need of a back item, they may collect a Vampire's cape after completing the challenge.
- As Vampires also heal from collecting blood, a player can group up two or more of them into a corner then repeatedly throw an indestructible item (such as a Rock) at the two. Doing this will drop massive amounts of blood for the Kapala and can be done infinitely due to them also being able to heal from blood.
- Vlad's Cape makes this strategy excessively efficient, allowing for an easy 99 HP if done for long enough.
- After the first two, adding another Vampire will not break this strategy, and will only allow the player to collect even more blood.
- The body of a dead Hired Hand or Spelunker is best suited for throwing at the vampires, as it has a higher pick-up priority than the Vampires themselves, making this an even easier task.
In addition to their high speed, they also have the ability to transform into Bats which makes them very hard to run away from.
They are tough enemies to fight without weapons - They have 6 hit points and recover from being stunned much faster than other enemies.
A good technique for killing them quickly without weapons is to stun them and quickly place a bomb on them, which will hopefully blow them up before they recover. The cape they drop is usually worth the use of your equipment.
- Even though they are seen wearing red capes, the cape dropped will be yellow.
- Inside the game sprites, there's a red cape that would presumably be the one dropped by Vampires.
The vampires are the most dangerous enemy that can be found amongst the Restless Dead. They are surprisingly mobile with their swift speed and ability to fly, and are tough enough to take multiple hits, recovering quickly from being stunned.
They will pursue you relentlessly once you've been spotted, unless you hide in a pool of water. They can shift into bat form (which is much faster than an ordinary Bat, but slower than a vampire's ground speed) to better hunt you down. Thrown weapons may be your best bet to take a vampire out, as they allow you to keep your distance.
Vampires drop a cape when killed, which means that players who find themselves in the Restless Dead level will probably want to kill at least one. They also drop skulls, just like the Jiang Shi and skeletons.
Vampires take extra damage from arrows.
If you can knock a vampire unconscious below a tree, you may simply drop on top of it until it is dead. The tricky part is getting it below the tree.
It is also a good tactic to deploy a rope right above a stunned vampire, get up on it and jump on him just after he awakens. It can be a very reliable way to kill him as long as you can jump fast enough.
If you manage to stun a vampire, you can also consider moving him next to a tiki trap which will take out a good chunk of his health. Just be sure he doesn't wake up in your hands and that you don't get caught by the tiki trap.Occasionally, you will find a tombstone on restless dead levels with 'ASH' inscribed upon it. A shotgun is guaranteed to be found inside, and will make short work of vampires.