Within the ancient ruins of Tide Pool, a player can clone anything with the power of the Clone Gun, avoid powerful Pangxie, pull the legendary Excalibur from its stone if worthy, and trigger an incredibly hazardous lava trap to reach the hidden area of Abzu.
Much like the Dwelling, Tide Pool has a special marking on the wall beside most hidden backlayer entrances, being a yellow star (). This can be used to easily locate hidden backlayers.
4-1: Madame Tusk's Dice House
It will cost $5000 each time the player plays Tusk's game, where they roll two dice for a result. Getting a 6 or lower will result in a loss, while getting an 8 or higher will result in the player earning $10,000, and rolling a 7 will grant the player whatever is behind the Forcefield in her shop. This reward can be any item sold normally at a shop, although it will never be any living entities, the Skeleton Key, or a Present. Successfully rolling a 7 five times in Tusk's dice game will give the player a VIP status, allowing them free access to her Palace of Pleasure in Neo Babylon 6-3.
Tips and Tricks
- Whipping the dice at any time while it is not on the ground will make it always roll either a 1 or a 6, making it significantly easier to get a 7 on the dice game.
- If the player throws or takes a die outside of the house, Tusk and the Bodyguard will anger.
- If one throws a die they already threw while playing the dice game, Tusk will assume that they are cheating, and both her and the Bodyguard will anger.
- If Tusk or the Bodyguard sees the player with The Tusk Idol, they will immediately anger. Going up and around the Dice House to the level exit (potentially via use of bombs) will prevent them from angering while still letting the player collect the Tusk Idol, meaning they would also be able to obtain VIP access to the Palace of Pleasure if they roll enough 7s.
- Peculiarly, if the Bodyguard is killed by means that the player is not blamed for, they may sell the Tusk Idol to the Madame herself without any consequences.
4-2: Stars Challenge, Excalibur, Great Lake
The Stars Challenge will always be found on 4-2 of the world, hosted by Tun. The player will have a limited amount of time to light every torch in the challenge room, and given a Four Leaf Clover to compensate for the time the challenge will take. If completed successfully, the player will be given the Clone Gun.
Tips and Tricks
- Any sort of back item that grants mobility, such as the Jetpack, Vlad's Cape, or even the Hoverpack will make the Stars Challenge incredibly easy to complete.
- In the event of Tun being angered or killed, the player cannot do the Stars Challenge, making attaining the Clone Gun impossible.
- Completing the challenge in Temple of Anubis will instead reward the player an Elixir.
Within 4-2, a stone holding Excalibur in place will appear near the bottom of the level. If the player has a Crown or Hedjet, they are worthy enough to pick it up and pull it from its stone. Excalibur is a near necessity for players wanting to enter Abzu, as it is the most powerful weapon against Kingu, trivializing the battle with her.
Just below Excalibur's resting place, the Great Lake will be found. Inside will be entire schools of Flying Fish, Great Humphead, and the entrance to a destroyed wooden structure. Inside of this structure, a player can find a dead caveman with their own ghist, some spikes and treasure, as well as a Golden Idol in a Giant Clam.
4-3:Idol Trap + Lake of Fire
Within 4-3, a massive lava lake known as the Lake of Fire can be found with the entrance to Abzu deep within. The only way to access the door to Abzu is draining the lava by triggering a trap at the bottom of the level. The player may enter the door of a room guaranteed to spawn, leading into backlayer path down to the trap. Triggering the trap is almost certain to cause the player's demise.
Tips and Tricks
- The easiest way to escape death via the Idol trap is to use the Ankh to return to the upper level of the map, thereby granting access to Abzu.
- As Excalibur is an incredibly powerful weapon in Abzu in defeating Kingu, one should leave it in the upper portion of 4-3 before triggering the Idol Trap, so they may return to it instead of abandoning it it in the lava below.
- If the level is dark, one should not worry about finding the door as two torches will be on either side of it, marking its position.
|Spelunky 2 Places|
|Area 2 A||Jungle (Black Market)|
|Area 2 B||Volcana (Vlad's Castle)|
|Area 3||Olmec's Lair|
|Area 4 A||Tide Pool • Abzu|
|Area 4 B||Temple of Anubis • The City of Gold • Duat|
|Area 5||Ice Caves|
|Area 6||Neo Babylon • Tiamat's Throne|
|Area 7||Sunken City • Eggplant World • Hundun's Hideaway|
|Area 8||Cosmic Ocean|
|See also||Level Feelings|