Queen Tiamat is the mother goddess responsible for giving birth to the world in the Spelunky universe. As implied through the journal, she was the one who called Guy Spelunky and Tina Flan down into the Moon's caves before the events of Spelunky 2.
Tiamat is the final boss of the game, or the penultimate boss of the game if the player decides to beat the game the hard way by defeating Hundun in his lair in the Sunken City. She resides on her throne on the final level of Neo Babylon.
When the player first encounters Tiamat, she will audibly roar at the player. Within her arena, she will use her staff to summon floating red projectiles, which hurt the player on contact.
If the projectile does not hit the player after a certain amount of time, it will transform into one of Tiamat's many creations.
Tiamat has 40 HP, and without any weapons or resources, must be approached with a whip to be damaged. The player is able to stand on the armrests of her throne, as well as her right shoulder.
However, if a player attacks Tiamat's head while being too close, she will roar at the player, inflicting 1 HP of damage and stunning them. After this, there is a short window where the player can attack Tiamat without fear of being roared at.
Throwing a Paste Bomb at Tiamat will not work, as she will roar it back at the player. If the player plans to use bombs to kill Tiamat, they must time them at the right moment to defeat her, or cause her to roar, creating a window for the player to stick paste bombs on her while the roar is on cooldown.
If Tiamat is defeated, she will tell the player, "You didn't disappoint me... until next time..." and turn to stone. After this, the exit door to beating the game the normal way will open.
There are are a number of strategies for defeating Tiamat:
- The easiest and quickest ways to defeat Tiamat include telefragging her with a Teleporter, Telepack or Axolotl. The other easy instakill method is to freeze her and whip her with a Freeze Ray or with a freeze blow from a player ghist in Multiplayer.
- Going up to Tiamat, whipping her to cause her to roar, then throwing four Paste Bombs at her while the roar is on cooldown will quickly end the fight
- By using bombs to destroy the tiles next to her head, the player can simply use ropes to stay up one side of the wall of the area and shoot her with a shotgun until she dies. This can easily be done even with the 5-1 shortcut with the shotguns and extra health obtained from Madame Tusk's Palace of Pleasure on 6-3.
- It is possible to kill her using no items other than the player's whip and the corpses of the enemies she spawns, but this is difficult and time-consuming. The Ghost will never spawn in Tiamat's Throne, so the player has as much time as they need to attempt this.
- Queen Tiamat is almost entirely thematically opposite to King Yama of Spelunky HD. While Yama is a king of fire and destruction, Tiamat is a queen of water and creation.
- The throne she sits on has the same design as the tablet that appears on game startup.
- Tiamat is based off of the Mesopotamian goddess of the same name, as well as her son (daughter in Spelunky), Kingu.