The Black Market is a special back area in The Jungle containing 7 total shops, all manned by Shopkeepers. Here, the player can obtain the Hedjet, a near essential item to progressing further in the game, as it allows entry into The City of Gold and makes the player worthy to pull Excalibur from it's stone.
Finding the Black Market
The Black Market entrance can spawn on either 2-2, 2-3, or 2-4 of The Jungle.
If the player is near the entrance to the Black Market and has the Udjat Eye, the Udjat Eye on the players HUD will make a sound and flash blue, or "blink" whenever the Black Market entrance is close. The player has to play a "warmer/colder" game with these flashes, as the closer they are to the entrance entrance, the more often the eye "blinks".
Like the first game, it will be hidden behind a ground tile, which will have to be destroyed for the Black Market to be entered
Unlike the first game, the Black Market is a back area instead of a separate level, spawning underneath the first half of the level. If the entrance doesn't spawn at the very bottom of the level, a tunnel will be constructed leading directly to the Black Market.
Finding without the Udjat Eye
Despite the Udjat Eye being the easiest way to locate the Black Market, there are still other methods to discovering it:
- Since the Black Market in Spelunky 2 is a back area instead of a different level, it will never spawn on the same level as the Moon Challenge.
- If the player is in any sub area on the same level as the Black Market, they will hear tribal drums playing, indicating that the Black Market is on the level.
- If the Black Market entrance is close enough to a neighboring sub area, they will be able to see the entrance from the other sub area. From there, the player can deduce the location of the entrance or use a Teleporter/Telepack to enter if it is close enough
- This is most easily done by entering the sub area containing one of the spice sisters, being Parsley, Parsnip, or Parmesan.
- The entrance will have far less leaves around it compared to its appearance in the first game, making it harder to see if it is near the surface. Despite this, it is still possible to find it if this is the case.
- If the player is on the same level as the main exit door, they can look down. If they look down and see normal blocks past the indestructible ones, then the Black Market is on the level.
- The Compass will indicate that there are two exits on the level, signaling the player that the Black Market can be found.
Inside the Black Market
The content of the Black Market is similar to what its incantation from the first game had.
The Black Market will always have the same main 6 shops:
- Specialty Shop with a higher chance of selling a Jetpack than usual
- Pet Shop always containing 3 Rope Piles and a Pet
- Gun Shop
- Clothing Shop
- General Shop
- Hired Hand Shop