Scarabs are flying insects made of gold. They are unique amongst most other creatures in Spelunky 2 in that they are completely harmless, and collected as treasure when touched. Like all other forms of treasure, Scarabs increase in value in later areas, starting at $1000 and increasing by $250 for every area completed.
Scarabs freely hover around one area by flapping their wings, occasionally darting into a random direction where they continue to hover. They will attempt to flee from the player if they get near by moving into the opposite direction of them, and produce a bright but narrow radius of light in dark levels and background layers, making them easy to find in the darkness.
Scarabs only have 1 HP, and do not drop blood when killed. Taking a picture of a Scarab with a Camera will collect it for the player instead of killing it.
- Scarabs are valued at the equivalent of two gold bars, making them a valuable creature worth collecting for money.
- Players should try to collect Scarabs before they react to their presence and fly into a position where they may not be collected.
- The sub-area found within Olmec's Lair tends to contain massive quantities of Scarabs, and can potentially net the player tens of thousands of dollars worth of gold if they are all collected.
- In no-gold runs, Scarabs should either be avoided or killed with the whip or a ranged option. As they do not drop blood and thus are not useful for filling the Kapala, killing them is only optimal in these types of runs.
- Collecting a Scarab or otherwise taking a picture of it with the Camera counts as a kill, invalidating a player's pacifist run.
Scarabs are flying insects made of gold. They are unique amongst creatures in Spelunky in that they are completely harmless, and collected as treasure when touched.
They only appear in dark levels and the City of Gold.
Scarabs flee from the player and produce bright but narrow radius of light in dark levels, making them easy to find in the darkness.
You must treat them carefully when trying to collect them. If they take any damage, they will be destroyed and you will lose the chance to gather them as treasure. Luckily, they don't take damage from being stomped on like most enemies, so you don't need to worry about touching them from above.
It's also possible to carry Scarabs like items or enemies, but they are rarely found at ground level so it's not always possible to do so. If a Scarab is thrown while being held, the player will collect it, and it will be left behind if the player leaves the level while holding the Scarab.
Like all other forms of treasure, Scarabs increase in value in later areas.
Golden Scarabs are non-aggressive creatures found only in dark levels of the caves and in the City of Gold
They are unique in Spelunky, as they are the only enemies that are gathered as treasure when you touch them. In addition, golden scarabs serve as weak light sources, making them easy to find.
They can never damage you, but they will be killed if you attack them with a weapon or throw an object at them.
Scarabs float randomly through the air, but will try to fly away if the Spelunker gets too close.
If the Spelunker touches a Scarab, it will be collected as treasure. Scarabs are worth $4000 in Area 1, $8000 in Area 2 and $12000 in area 4. They do not appear in Area 3 as there are no dark levels.
You must be careful when collecting Scarabs. If they take any damage, they will be destroyed and you will lose the chance to gather them as treasure.