The Opening Narration is a brief monologue given by the Spelunker whenever the game is loaded up. The narration consists of a three-line, first-person past-tense description of what of the Spelunker was doing just prior to entering the caves.
The narrations are generated in a mix-and-match style--the first line is chosen randomly from a group of potential first lines, the second line from a group of possible second lines, and so on for the third. The second line always begins with "I," and the third line begins with "and." The first two lines end with a comma, and the final line ends with a full stop.
My memory slipping away from me,
I drained the rest of my canteen,
and held my hat against the wind.
Putting the faded photo in my pocket,
I squeezed the whip at my side,
and thought of her one last time.
List of First Lines
- After I double-checked my map,
- As I recalled my father's last words,
- As the moon burned bright above,
- My lips cracked and covered in sand,
- My memory slipping away from me,
- Putting the faded photo in my pocket,
- With fate guiding my every move,
- With the desert stretching behind me,
List of Second Lines
- I dismounted my camel,
- I drained the rest of my canteen,
- I furrowed my brow,
- I paid my Bedouin guide,
- I squinted into the darkness,
- I squeezed the whip at my side,
- I spotted the cave's entrance,
- I strode valiantly toward my destiny,
List of Third Lines
- And a cold chill took hold of me.
- And felt the gods smiling upon me.
- And held my hat against the wind.
- And swore I heard voices up ahead.
- And that's when it all started.
- And thought of her one last time.
- And vowed to return victorious.
- And wondered how long I'd be below.
- The third line "And a cold chill took hold of me" could be a reference to The Ghost
- The opening narration gives some hint to the Spelunker's backstory, for example, the line "As I recalled my father's last words," shows us that Spelunky Guy's father is deceased. However, they don't reveal much.