The Machete deals two damage and can attack enemies while stunned. It is even capable of attacking enemies who are immune to the whip, such as Quillback, Pangxie, or Horned Lizards preforming their roll attack.
The player can also cut through loose foliage in The Jungle or instantly slice through cobwebs, granting passage for the user. It's sharp blade also allows the player to instantly kill mantraps, regardless of health.
Dealing a killing blow to an entity or attacking a corpse with the machete will gib it into unusable pieces.
While an upgrade from the whip, the machete is its own individual item, and must be put down in order to hold other items.
- Although gibbing corpses with the machete will not cause them to drop blood and denies one from sacrificing it to Kali, destroying corpses means that they cannot be flung at the player by external forces and that they cannot be resurrected by a Necromancer.
- Excalibur and the Broken Sword can be considered an upgrade to the Machete, as they function exactly the same with substantially increased damage. Excalibur also has the ability to harm the shell of Kingu.
It also hits stunned enemies, so you don't have to wait for them to wake up to finish them off.
The Machete can also be used to move quickly through spider webs, slicing through them with a single swing.
- When using the machete to attack a Damsel without moving her at all, the game will display her as still alive and will still make her call for help until you pick her up, hit her with some other weapon, or affect the ground underneath her
- Like Mattocks, if a Machete is used against a wall and dropped before the attack animation is done, it will be dropped inside the block and get crushed.
It swings faster and does more damage (in a combo) than either the whip or the mattock, but must also be carried in the hands, making it difficult to 'juggle' when you wish to carry other items such as a Golden Idol.
When the action key is pressed, the Spelunker executes three swift slashes with the machete, which cover an approximately 90 degree arc in front of and above him.
The machete has several advantages over the whip:
- While each strike only does one point of damage, the full combo hits three times in rapid succession. The damage it deals is enough to kill tougher enemies like Cavemen and Mantraps in a single combo, and makes it much easier to wear down powerful enemies like a Giant Spider.
- It can do damage to certain enemies that are immune to the whip, such as Yetis.
- It allows you to attack stunned enemies without having to wait for them to wake up.
- It has slightly more range than the whip, and the lack of the backswing means there is no delay before attacking.
While this also means it won't hit enemies that happen to be behind you, the wider arc of attack in front makes up for this as it is easier to hit enemies attacking from above, such as Bats and Frogs.
- The machete cuts apart spider webs instantly.
Despite all of this, it may be more trouble than it's worth to juggle the machete with other carried items such as Golden Idols and damsels, and is almost completely inferior to ranged weapons such as the shotgun.
On the plus side, it is cheaper to purchase, easier to find and remains an excellent upgrade to the whip, both in terms of function and style.
TriviaOriginally, the Machete was a much weaker weapon with no real benefits over the whip. In response to feedback from players, Derek agreed that it needed a buff.
|Accessories||Bomb Paste • Book of the Dead • Cape • Climbing Gloves • Compass • Hedjet • Jetpack • Kapala • Pitcher's Mitt • Spectacles • Spike Shoes • Spring Shoes • Udjat Eye • Vlad's Amulet • Vlad's Cape|
|Equipment||Ankh • Arrow • Bombs • Parachute • Rope|
|Objects||Arrow • Big Chest • Box of Flares • Chest • Corpse • Crate • Crystal Skull • Eggplant • Flare • Golden Idol • Key • Lantern • Mattock Head • Mystery Box • Piranha Skeleton • Pot • Rock • Skull|
|Weapons||Boomerang • Bow • Camera • Crysknife • Freeze Ray • Machete • Mattock • Pistol • Plasma Cannon • Scepter • Shield • Shotgun • Web Gun • Whip|
|Miscellaneous||Royal Jelly • Teleporter • Treasure|