Dwelling is the first area in Spelunky 2, accessible via the main doorway in the Camp.
Dwelling consists of 4 levels, ending with a choice of proceeding to either Jungle or Volcana. Its tight corridors and many enemies quickly and indiscriminately dispatch of careless delvers, regardless of skill level.
- 1-1 never contains any special landmarks, such as such as Shops, Kali Altars, or Idol traps.
- 1-2 and 1-3 interchangeably have either the room containing the Locked Chest and the Gold Key, or Yang's pen and two guaranteed Cave Turkeys somewhere in the level.
- 1-4 contains both an arena containing Quillback and the entrance to the Ghist Shopkeeper's shop hidden deep under the arena. At the bottom of the level are two exits; the left exit will transport the Spelunker to Jungle, while the right exit leads to Volcana.
Much like Tide Pool, the Dwelling has a special marking on the wall beside most hidden backlayer entrances, being a set of three hand prints (). This can be used to easily locate hidden backlayers.
Only two unique Level Feelings can occur in Dwelling, being "dark" and "echo" levels, and only on either 1-2 or 1-3.
Dwelling - Dwelling music
Flaming arrow - Dwelling Dark Level music
- In a Developer AMA, Spelunky's creator Derek Yu reaffirmed that he had absolutely no regrets on adding both Cave Moles and Horned Lizards to the same stage.
Disclaimer: All content from Version 1.25 and onwards are currently unavailable on PS4.
In Europe, Africa, Middle East & Oceania, all content after Version 1.20.4d are also unavailable on PS4. This is due to multiple reasons, although content will be available in the future.
- Made some slight changes to room layouts in dwelling
- Slightly tweaked quillback's level layout! (Specifically, certain push blocks that had a chance of spawning were moved by request of the Spelunky speedrunning community.)
Appearances in other Spelunky games:
|Spelunky 2 Places|
|Area 2 A||Jungle (Black Market)|
|Area 2 B||Volcana (Vlad's Castle)|
|Area 3||Olmec's Lair|
|Area 4 A||Tide Pool • Abzu|
|Area 4 B||Temple of Anubis • The City of Gold • Duat|
|Area 5||Ice Caves|
|Area 6||Neo Babylon • Tiamat's Throne|
|Area 7||Sunken City • Eggplant World • Hundun's Hideaway|
|Area 8||Cosmic Ocean|
|See also||Level Feelings|