Curse is arguably the most detrimental effect that can be inflicted on a Spelunker, as it can be obtained through a simple mistake that can end a run quickly.
How to Obtain
Curse is obtained through four known means:
- Making contact with the floating skull which surrounds a Witch Doctor.
- Being hit by a cursed gale from a Cat Mummy.
- Destroying a Kali Altar three times.
- Being hit by a thrown/falling Curse Pot, or being launched into one.
Curse can be applied to non player entities through either methods 2 or 4.
Although Curse is generally considered a massive debuff, it still has its uses.
- Leaves an entity with 1 HP
- Disables ALL healing, even from Royal Jelly, Pets, Cooked Turkeys, and Eggplant Flesh.
- Allows a player to enter the Ghist Shopkeeper's shop.
- Lets spelunkers see Ghists.
- Will make Beg give a player the True Crown upon their second encounter.
How to Cure
There are multiple ways for a Spelunker to cure curse in Spelunky 2. Below is a list of the ONLY ways to cure oneself of curse:
- Drinking an Elixir gained from the Stars Challenge in Temple of Anubis (Doing the Stars Challenge in Tide Pool will reward you with the Clone Gun instead).
- Standing over a Kali Altar while giving her enough points for her to produce a reward.
- This can only be done after the initial reward for 8 favor points.
- Doing this will replace the reward Kali would normally give you (eg; after reaching 16 favor, Kali will uncurse you instead of awarding the Kapala.).
- If the Kapala is replaced in order to uncurse the player, it will be given to the player as the next reward.
- Dying with the Ankh and reviving. This will remove any status effects and set you at 4 HP.
- Dying in Co-op and having a fellow player revive you by breaking open a Coffin.