Chests are an item in Spelunky 2. They can be opened by attacking them or by picking it up and pressing up+action, releasing their contents in the process. The empty chest remains after being opened, and can be carried or thrown.
When opened, chests will contain a random assortment of Treasure, consisting of three to four small emeralds, sapphires, and rubies. There is a chance of these gems being larger, although they will most commonly contain their smaller counterparts.
There is a small chance that chests may release a primed bomb when opened. There is no way to tell if a chest is trapped before opening it.
Bombs from chests have a 50% chance to be a normal bomb, and a 50% chance to be a power bomb, like the ones powered-up from a Powerpack.
In very rare circumstances, chests may contain a Leprechaun. These Leprechauns will still drop a Four-Leaf Clover, though it will not lead to a Pot of Gold unless a Leprechaun naturally spawned in a level.
Two vault chests can be found in the backlayer of a vault, and eight can be found in the Palace of Pleasure's vault.
When opened, each vault chest will contain six to eight random large gems, consisting of emeralds, sapphires, rubies, and diamonds. The nature of these chests makes them a prime target for ghosting into much more valuable diamonds.
- Chests cannot be carried between levels or layers. This means that vault chests cannot be taken out of the backlayer of the vault.
- Unlike Crates and Presents, which release their contents when crushed, crushing a chest will destroy it without releasing the contents. This means that crushing a chest that contains a bomb will not cause an explosion.
- Vault chests will never contain a bomb or Leprechaun.
- Waddler drops a chest when killed.
- Chests can sometimes be found acting as a Hermit Crab's home.
Disclaimer: All content from Version 1.25 and onwards are currently unavailable on PS4.
In Europe, Africa, Middle East & Oceania, all content after Version 1.20.4d are also unavailable on PS4. This is due to multiple reasons, although content will be available in the future.
- Emptied treasure chests that were put on the storage room will now also respawn empty
- Bombs coming out of treasure chests will now be correctly tagged
- Fixed issue where players couldn't drop items after tossing a bomb
Appearances in other Spelunky games:
- Spelunky 2 internal object name (ENT_TYPE_ITEM_CHEST)
- Spelunky 2 internal object name (ENT_TYPE_ITEM_VAULTCHEST)
|Spelunky 2 Items|
|Equipment||Paste • Spectacles • Climbing Gloves • Pitcher's Mitt • Spring Shoes • Spike Shoes • Compass • Alien Compass • Parachute • Udjat Eye • Kapala • Ankh • Tablet of Destiny • Skeleton Key • Four-Leaf Clover|
|Crowns||Hedjet • Crown • Eggplant Crown • The True Crown|
|Backwear||Cape • Vlad's Cape • Jetpack • Telepack • Hoverpack • Powerpack|
|Power-ups||Bombs • Ropes • Royal Jelly • Cooked Turkey • Elixir|
|Usable Items||Webgun • Shotgun • Freeze Ray • Clone Gun • Crossbow • Camera • Teleporter • Mattock • Boomerang • Machete • Excalibur • Broken Sword • Plasma Cannon • Scepter • Hou Yi's Bow • Wooden Shield • Metal Shield|
|Miscellaneous||Arrow of Light • Idol • The Tusk Idol • Curse Pot • Ushabti • Eggplant|
|Traps||Bear Trap • Landmine|
|No Journal Entry||Crate • Present • Chest • Key • Gold Key • Locked Chest • Arrows • Torch • Punish Ball • Die • Pot of Gold • Treasure • Player Bag • Giant Food • Scrap|