Anubis is an enemy based on the Egyptian god of death of the same name. One will always appear in 4-1. He is a powerful foe that uses psychic energy to attack the player.
Anubis will initially be found dormant, sitting on a throne somewhere on 4-1 in Temple of Anubis.
Upon the player stepping close to him, he slowly will awaken, and begin floating towards the player.
Anubis has 2 main attacks:
- Every few seconds he will raise his scepter and shoot a psychic ball that will float towards the player. These are generally slow, but with the frequency they are summoned can overwhelm the player and trap them in a tight position.
- Periodically, a Udjat Eye symbol will flash at the location of the player, and soon after a much quicker psychic disc will be shot aiming at where the player was at the time of the eye flash. This attack is done less frequently.
Both of Anubis' projectiles deal 10 damage, and can and will track the player through walls.
Anubis himself will deal 1 damage to the player if he touches them.
Upon defeating Anubis, he will always drop the Scepter, an extremely important item that, along with the hedjet or crown, is needed to reach the city of gold.
- Anubis is generally slow, making closing the distance towards the player the biggest challenge for him.
- If the player can maintain distance run away from him before he is able to overwhelm the player, they should face little problem with him. Anubis will be defeated within two bombs, making throwing bombs with Bomb Paste at him the best option to beat him.
- When in a tight situation against Anubis, the player can take the risk of intentionally taking contact damage from Anubis to grant them invincibility frames to protect them from his projectiles or other threats. This generally should only be a player's last resort if they have no other option.
- Other ranged weapons like the shotgun, plasma cannon, or freeze ray will also quickly defeat Anubis, allowing the player to seize the Scepter.