Anubis is an enemy based on the Egyptian god of death of the same name. One will always appear in 4-1. He is a powerful foe that uses psychic energy to attack the player.
Anubis will initially be found dormant, sitting on a throne somewhere on 4-1 in Temple of Anubis.
Upon the player stepping close to him, he slowly will awaken, and begin floating towards the player.
Anubis has 2 main attacks:
- Every few seconds he will raise his scepter and shoot a psychic ball that will float towards the player. These are generally slow, but with the frequency they are summoned can overwhelm the player and trap them in a tight position.
- Periodically, a Udjat Eye symbol will flash at the location of the player, and soon after a much quicker psychic disc will be shot aiming at where the player was at the time of the eye flash. This attack is done less frequently.
Both of Anubis' projectiles deal 10 damage, and can and will track the player through walls.
Anubis himself will deal 1 damage to the player if he touches them.
Upon defeating Anubis, he will always drop the Scepter, an extremely important item that, along with the hedjet or crown, is needed to reach the city of gold.
- Anubis is generally slow, making closing the distance towards the player the biggest challenge for him.
- If the player can maintain distance run away from him before he is able to overwhelm the player, they should face little problem with him. Anubis will be defeated within two bombs, making throwing bombs with Bomb Paste at him the best option to beat him.
- When in a tight situation against Anubis, the player can take the risk of intentionally taking contact damage from Anubis to grant them invincibility frames to protect them from his projectiles or other threats. This generally should only be a player's last resort if they have no other option.
- Other ranged weapons like the shotgun, plasma cannon, or freeze ray will also quickly defeat Anubis, allowing the player to seize the Scepter.
Anubis is an enemy appearing in the Temple, 4-1, where he floats around wielding the Scepter. He is difficult to kill for players who are new to the temple and should be avoided at the beginning if you don't want your brain fried and don't plan to go to Hell. Anubis cannot pass through walls, but the psychic blasts can. Upon death the top-center part of him drops his Scepter, this is important to note if you're trying to use a Crush Trap to kill him, the Scepter is later used along with the Hedjet to access the City of Gold.
If you don't have any of those, try luring Anubis into a Tiki Trap or a Crush Trap, however, only the top part of Anubis triggers the tiki trap, and using a Crush Trap may accidentally get the Scepter crushed.
As a last resort, the player can use a rock or the whip to kill Anubis, staying away from the psychic blasts. While it's possible to stomp Anubis, it will normally result in the player getting hit by the psychic blasts, since they spawn from the top part of Anubis.
Anubis can be seen wearing the Ankh, which probably explains how he returns from the dead as Anubis II in The City of Gold. Anubis II loses the Ankh after he resurrects, but gains the power to pass through walls like The Ghost and summon Red Skeletons from Hell.